There are a number of convenient options when it comes to travelling to Madikwe Safari Lodge.
MORE Reservations may also take care of transfers on your behalf in an air conditioned vehicle between Johannesburg and Madikwe, as well as between Madikwe Safari Lodge and Marataba.
- Federal Air operates a daily flight from O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB) to Madikwe airfield, departing at 12h00 and returning at 13h30. The airfield is 10 minutes drive from the Lodge. MORE reservations may also book these flights on your behalf, and would be happy to furnish you with a comprehensive quotation.
- Gaborone, Botswana is 2 hours from Madikwe Safari Lodge. If you are either coming from or going on safari in Botswana, transfers can be arranged.
- The driving time from Johannesburg is approximately 4 to 4.5 hours and there are two different routes to consider.
- Effective 15 January 2018, Marataba offers an Air Taxi Service in partnership with Angel Gabriel. The service will operate from Grand Central Airport, with complimentary shuttles from/ to OR Tambo International. The Air Taxi can be booked through our reservations team.
- O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB) to Madikwe Safari Lodge via Abjaterskop Gate. Note: this route is recommended if you prefer to travel a shorter distance on a gravel road, bearing in mind neither route requires a 4×4 vehicle.
- O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB) to Madikwe Safari Lodge via Molatedi Gate (Sun City). Note: this route is recommended if you do not mind travelling 50 kilometres/30 miles on a gravel road, or if you are coming from or going to Sun City. This is a shorter route in distance, does not require a 4×4 vehicle and is more scenic.
Best time to travel
An all-year-round safari destination where the variation in experience is temperature-related rather than safari-related as we do not have any migratory species. Summer months have very high day-time temperatures, while Winter months have very cold early mornings and evenings, but mild day-time temperatures. The bush is also denser in summer (rainy season), and animals may therefore be more difficult to see. The best bird-watching period is from October to April.
Distances and travel times
- From OR Tambo Airport, Johannesburg: 4 hours 45 minutes | 359km | 224 miles
- From Lanseria Airport: 4 hours 15 minutes | 315km | 196 miles
- From Sir Seretse Khama International Airport, Gaborone: 1 hour 45 minutes | 87km | 55 miles
- From Sun City: 2 hours | 138km | 86 miles