As parents of twins – Mack and Madi – my late wife Britt (matriarch of the MORE family until her passing in 2016) and I learned first-hand what it meant to travel with young children. They don’t fit into prescribed timelines, and have specific needs when it comes to what they eat, where they sleep, and their entertainment. We experienced the joy in their effervescent excitement at discovering a new place, and came to realise that schedules should be left at home, with a little extra freedom for them to just play, explore, and be kids… And so began our journey of crafting the Mack & Madi Family Experience, which we have brought into our lodges and hotels for our family travellers. – Robert More, Owner of MORE
We have carefully created environments that are welcoming to guests of all ages, and encourage your family to feel at home away from home – but with some added luxuries. We provide space and places for loved ones to come together, and with every comfort and convenience afforded, there is time for the rest to take care of itself.
Madikwe offers families (with both older and younger children) a very special place to experience something magic together. At Lelapa Lodge children of all ages are welcome and we offer a host of activities for their enjoyment. Dithaba Lodge: Regret no children except if the Lodge is booked exclusively.
Many of us have kids of our own, so we know and understand what an unforgettable experience it is for children to be in the bush. We have taken a lot of time to design a kids’ menu of activities which will keep juniors entertained, and parents relaxed.
The ECO HOUSE is an educational (and entertainment) centre built specifically for kids – and anyone with a fascination for the wild world and its inhabitants.
The facility is always a hive of activity, where kids can partake in painting, drawing, making location specific models and arts and get to experience some of the live specimens from the reserve.
Parents have the choice of either engaging in the learning with their kids, or stealing a few hours for themselves. This experience is unique to Madikwe Safari Lodge, and has been crafted in consultation with the owner parents, guest parents, managers and North West parks (who have assisted in all the required permits for the live specimens).
In kid language… ECO-HOUSE is just AWESOME!
QUICK FACTS ABOUT FAMILIES AT MADIKWE SAFARI LODGE
- Children between the ages of zero and five years stay free of charge and children aged six to fifteen pay 50% of the per person adult rate.
- Children under the age of 3 years old are not permitted on any of the daily safari drives, but may participate on a dedicated family safari game drive between 10:00am & 12:00pm daily. Parents are welcome to join this game drive too, subject to the availability of seats on the vehicle.
- Children younger than 6 years old are not permitted on the scheduled daily safari drives that take place early mornings & late afternoons. The children’s game drive (for young guests 3 to 5 years) goes out daily from 10h00 to 12h00 in summer and from 11h00 to 13h00 in winter; parents are welcome to go along, subject to availability of seats.
MACK & MADI KIDS ACTIVITIES ON OFFER
- Family safari drives
- Bush orientation
- Bug CSI
- Long hours spent in the Eco-House
- Dung tracking
- Baking in the kitchen
- Making pizzas in the boma
- Star gazing
- Games night, and much more..