Click here to download the Madikwe Safari Lodge e-Brochure.
BEST TIME TO TRAVEL
An all-year-round safari destination where the variation in experience is temperature-related rather than safari-related as we do not have any migratory species. Summer months have very high day-time temperatures, while Winter months have very cold early mornings and evenings, but mild day-time temperatures. The bush is also denser in summer (rainy season), and animals may therefore be more difficult to see. The best bird-watching period is from October to April.
Tipping/ Gratuities are entirely voluntary. We have however provided an outline of a recommended tipping policy for the convenience of those guests seeking guidance:
ZAR 500.00 per room per day
(ZAR 200.00 guide, ZAR 200.00 general staff; ZAR 100.00 butler)
Madikwe is situated in a region of South Africa which the malaria carrying mosquito (Anopheles) does not inhabit, and the reserve and region is therefore classed as a malaria-free region.
The climate is typified by hot wet summers (September to April) and cool dry winters (May to August). Temperatures average around 25°C (77°F) but can get very hot during heat waves in mid- summer and extremely cold at night in mid-winter.
The region is classed as a semi-arid region, rainfall amounts to about 500 mm (19.5 inches) per year, with most of this falling in short, sharp thunderstorms in the late afternoons or at night, between November and March. Mean average temperatures – Summer: 25°C (77°F) to 40°C (104°F); Winter: 3°C (38°F) to 23°C (73°
FAMILIES ON SAFARI
- Children of all ages are welcome at Madikwe Safari Lodge’s Lelapa Lodge.
- There are many activities available for children including: family safari drives, bush orientation, bug CSI, dung tracking, track pack with Plaster of Paris, baking in the kitchen, making pizzas in the boma, star gazing, games night and much more.
- Children between the ages of zero and five years stay free of charge and children aged six to fifteen pay 50% of the per person adult rate.
- Unfortunately no game drives are allowed for children under the age of two years and children between the ages of two and five are only allowed on the late morning family safari drive. The family safari drive for children aged two to five departs at 11:00 in winter and 10:00 in summer, and lasts approximately two hours.
WHAT TO PACK FOR YOUR SAFARI VISIT:
- Medication as required
- Sun hat, sunglasses and high SPF sunscreen (even in winter)
- Sturdy walking shoes as well as light sandals (ideal for summer September – April)
- Comfortable, light coloured clothing
- Swimwear if desired
- Contact lens solution, glasses if applicable
- Scarves, headgear and warm jacket for winter (May – August)
- Camera, video camera, spare batteries/charger cable
- Book or e-reader
- Binoculars if desired
- Light sweater for evenings in summer or midday in winter
- Relaxed, comfortable clothing to wear around the lodge
Morning and evening game drives in open safari vehicles, bush walks, bird watching, astronomy, ecology house and local community village tour, bush breakfasts and dinners, boma dinners, spa, children’s activities.
- Federal Air operates a daily flight from O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB) to Madikwe airfield, departing at 12h00 and returning at 13h30. The airfield is 10 minutes drive from the Lodge.
- Gaborone, Botswana is 2 hours from Madikwe Safari Lodge. If you are either coming from or going on safari in Botswana, transfers can be arranged.
- The driving time from Johannesburg is approximately 4 to 4.5 hours and there are two different routes to consider.
- O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB) to Madikwe Safari Lodge via Abjaterskop Gate. Note: this route is recommended if you prefer to travel a shorter distance on a gravel road, bearing in mind neither route requires a 4×4 vehicle.
- O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB) to Madikwe Safari Lodge via Molatedi Gate (Sun City). Note: this route is recommended if you do not mind travelling 50 kilometres/30 miles on a gravel road, or if you are coming from or going to Sun City. This is a shorter route in distance, does not require a 4×4 vehicle and is more scenic.
MORE reservations can send you detailed information on both flight and self-drive access.
DISTANCE/ TRAVEL TIMES TO MADIKWE SAFARI LODGE
- From OR Tambo Airport, Johannesburg: 4 hours 45 minutes | 359km | 224 miles
- From Lanseria Airport: 4 hours 15 minutes | 315km | 196 miles
- From Sir Seretse Khama International Airport, Gaborone: 1 hour 45 minutes | 87km | 55 miles
- From Sun City: 2 hours | 138km | 86 miles